CrossFit is a high-intensity, functional fitness program that has gained popularity among athletes of all ages. It combines weightlifting, gymnastics, and high-intensity interval training to provide a full-body workout. However, the high-intensity nature of CrossFit can put a lot of stress on the body and can lead to injuries. To prevent and recover from injuries, many CrossFit athletes turn to hybrid Joliet chiropractor and athletic trainer Josh Duplessis to keep them in top condition. This hybrid approach can help to improve mobility, reduce pain, and improve overall performance. In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of a hybrid approach utilizing chiropractic care and athletic training for CrossFit athletes and how this approach can help to prevent and recover from injuries.
First, What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a fitness program that combines weightlifting, gymnastics, and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) to provide a full-body workout. It is designed to improve overall fitness, including strength, cardiovascular endurance, and flexibility. CrossFit workouts are typically short and intense, making them efficient for those with busy schedules. The program emphasizes functional movements, which mimic everyday activities and improve overall athleticism. CrossFit workouts can be adjusted to various skill levels, making them suitable for people of all fitness backgrounds. The program also promotes a sense of community and accountability, as workouts are often done in a group setting. CrossFit is a challenging and intense form of exercise, but it can be very beneficial for those looking to improve their overall fitness and well-being.
What Makes CrossFit So Great For Aging Well?
- CrossFit workouts are designed to improve overall fitness, including strength, cardiovascular endurance, and flexibility.
- CrossFit exercises use a combination of weightlifting, gymnastics, and high-intensity interval training to provide a full-body workout.
- CrossFit workouts are typically short and intense, making them efficient for those with busy schedules.
- CrossFit emphasizes functional movements, which mimic everyday activities and improve overall athleticism.
- CrossFit workouts can be adjusted to various skill levels, making them suitable for people of all fitness backgrounds.
- CrossFit promotes a sense of community and accountability, as workouts are often done in a group setting.
- CrossFit has been found to improve body composition, cardiovascular health, and mental well-being.
- CrossFit can help to prevent injury by working on correct movement patterns and having a coach who can correct mistakes.
Joliet Chiropractor Josh Duplessis Understands The Negatives Of Living a Sedentary Lifestyle
A sedentary lifestyle can have a number of negative effects on overall health and well-being. Some of the most common negative effects include:
- Increased risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer
- Increased risk of high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Increased risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures
- Increased risk of depression and anxiety
- Reduced cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength
- Reduced flexibility and mobility
- Increased risk of developing poor posture and back pain
- Decrease in metabolism and calorie burning rate
- Increased risk of premature death
- Poor sleep quality
Why Do CrossFit Athletes Thrive With Care @ Integrated Physical Medicine of Joliet?
Staying Active Can Hurt!
CrossFit athletes may get injured due to the high-intensity and high-impact nature of the exercises involved in the program. Additionally, the use of heavy weights and fast-paced movements can put a lot of stress on the body, which can lead to injuries. Furthermore, the high volume of reps or the lack of proper form and technique can cause problems over time. Common injuries suffered by CrossFit athletes include:
- Strains and sprains to the shoulders, knees, and lower back
- Overuse injuries such as tendonitis
- Hand and wrist injuries from high volume of gymnastics movements
- Knee injuries such as ACL and MCL tears
- Spinal injuries
- Head injuries
- Heat stroke and other heat-related illnesses
It’s important to note that many of these injuries can be prevented by following proper form and technique, using appropriate weights, and taking rest days to allow the body to recover. Additionally, regular check-ups with a Joliet Chiropractor like Dr. Duplessis can help to identify and address any potential issues early on.
At IPM Joliet, Chiropractor Dr. Josh Offers All the Tools To Keep Athletes “In The Game”!
We believe that it is important to offer a wide array of specialties and techniques at IPM Joliet. By only hiring doctors that have a large skillset we ensure that our care plans are custom and patient specific. Below are services and techniques that CrossFit athletes typically utilize at our Joliet chiropractic and physical therapy clinic.
- Chiropractic Manipulation – Utilized for improved joint motion and pain relief. Both gentle and aggressive techniques offered to cater to all types of patients.
- Injury Specific Rehabilitation – Often CrossFit athletes will have areas of discomfort that change on a weekly basis. Our doctors can adapt real-time to address what is most pressing at the time.
- Acupuncture/Dry Needling – Traditional needling or the newer form of myofascial needling. We do both!
- Manual Therapies – Massage therapy, trigger point therapy, active release technique, pin and stretch, IASTM – Instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization… we do it all!
- Myofascial Decompression – Also known as cupping. This approach has been an amazing addition to our clinics. Both active cupping and passive cupping have produced amazing results for our CrossFitters.
- Kenesio-Taping – Taping is no longer a new procedure. Taping is used for fine tuning how muscles and joints operate and is highly effective for all, but especially for athletes.
- Electro-therapies – EMS – Electrical Muscle Stimulation, TENS – Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, Micro Current and IF – Interferential are all very effective modalities and used frequently.
- Regenerative Medicine – Our newest line of services. These products are designed to use the body’s ability to heal itself to regenerate cartilage damage and stimulate healing. Human Cellular Tissue Products, Protien Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections and Hyaluronic Acid Injections are currently available at our New Lenox facility with our Nurse Practitioner Kelly Drudi APN.
Dr. Josh Duplessis is an expert at evaluating and Identifying any musculoskeletal issue. He takes that knowledge and builds a customized, one-on-one plan to repair the issue and teach the athlete how to manage it moving forward.
IPM Joliet CrossFit Affiliations
The doctors and staff at IPM Joliet have partnered with most of the local CrossFit gyms to make sure their athletes have access to world class care. These gyms are ahead of the game when it comes to keeping their members happy, healthy and physically fit.
- CrossFit Mettle and Honor – Joliet’s premier CrossFit gym has been a close affiliate for many years. Co-Owner Chris Scrementi is a big believer in proactive injury management through IPM Joliet.
- CrossFit Locked and Loaded – One of the newest local CrossFit gyms. Dr. Josh Duplessis and Dr. Jon Polcyn (IPM Naperville) have help many of their high level athletes stay healthy.
- CrossFit Plainfield – IPM Joliet and gym owner Scott Romjin have a long history making sure that member safety and health is a top priority. IPM Joliet has helped dozens of their member over the years.
“I had stem cell treatment in both of my knees about 6 months ago at Integrated Physical Medicine. Prior to that I didn’t know if I would be able to squat much more than 135 again. Been training smart and slowly rebuilding. Tonight got 5×3 @ 275. Not much to some people but a quantum leap from where I was just a few months back. Contact IPMs New Lenox office if you’d like information on if stem cell treatment is right for you.” ~ Chris Scrementi
How Do You Set Up an Evaluation with Joliet Chiropractor Dr. Josh Duplessis?
There are multiple avenues to start being proactive with your physical wellbeing:
- www.ipmhealthcare.com/joliet/ – Book an appointment online.
- 815-790-3853 – Call the office directly to find a time that works for you.
- firstname.lastname@example.org – If you have questions for Dr. Josh feel free to email him directly.